Last week Thursday (May 15), Bonita and I decided to take part in an interesting economic experiment instigated through the modern means that is facebook. An event on that website encouraged students to go to the grocery store on 5/15 and purchase carrots like they were going out of fashion.And so we panicked and bought carrots. Something like 3500g of them, which are now sitting in the refrigerator, waiting to be integrated into whatever foods we cook over the next several days.
I expect that this "event" was not very well attended... there were still plenty of carrots in the grocery store we went to (although all I could smell in their produce section was Durian...). I tried to convince Tony to go out and purchase carrots, but he was skeptical - I figure that something like this is interesting, harmless, and low risk. I guess he didn't really want any carrots.
For me, it is fun to have carrots. It means that I have the opportunity to bake carrot cake! And that is exactly what I did. It is a challenge to bake in a country that doesn't use pounds, cups, and degrees Fahrenheit. However, I found that, between Google calculator and having spent enough time baking to be able to estimate quantities, I managed well.
On Thursday night I baked the cake, and then decided it was too late to wait for it to cool and then make the frosting for it. I set the unfrosted cake in the microwave for the night to protect it from the ants. In the morning when I finally woke up, I found that Bonita's parents had eaten some of it for their breakfast. This was fine, but it meant that the frosting on the cake was kind of awkward. You can see in this picture that the frosting overflowed into the cakeless area. You can also see that I was too lazy to properly mix the frosting together. It tasted pretty good anyway. I also ended up baking a loaf of banana bread with chocolate chips in it, which Bonita and I took with us to her small group meeting.

No comments:
Post a Comment