Saturday, May 24, 2008

Half a Dozen Mosquito Bites

On Wednesday, Bonita and I decided to go out and do some cycling and things like that. Our options were to go back to the East Coast (which is where we had seafood last Sunday) or to go to Sentosa, which is a small, touristy island. Eventually, Bonita's sister made the decision (after wavering back and forth...) that we would go to Sentosa.

Sentosa was beautiful. It has lots of beach (which, as I understand, is made mostly of imported sand) and isn't packed with malls, as most of Singapore seems to be. This means more jungle too, and mosquitoes to go with.

And so we went cycling. I have pictures but it's not like people haven't seen pictures of other people riding bicycles before. Something that was new for me to see was monkeys. Yes, I've seen monkeys before. But these ones were just crossing the street! It was like watching deer on North Campus. I think at least 6 crossed here at the bus stop, going from one part of jungle-y bit to the other. Bonita was surprised that I hadn't every seen such a thing before... But in Miami we have giant Cuban iguanas and the ever-present possums and raccoons.


There are, however, peacocks in South Florida. So when I saw this one wandering around, I wasn't too surprised. They're pretty, though, so I took a picture.










Since we were by the water, we had intended to go swimming, but by the time we were done cycling and such, it had become overcast outside, and we decided it wasn't really worth going in. I started to draw in the sand and then decided to draw Trogdor, because Trogdor is amazing.








Now here is the crazy part! The three of us went to a fish spa on Sentosa, where they do reflexology and things like that. Reflexology, basically, is the idea that there are certain pressure points or whatever on the hands and feet, for example, that are connected with other parts of the body. I don't know about that, but this was a fun experience.

The novelty of this spa is that you start out by sticking your feet into a pool of fish that suck at the skin to pull the dead skin off. Felicia made Bonita and I go into the big fish pool (~3" in length) where the fish were more aggressive. The experience was... weird. I squealed a lot and you can tell pretty clearly in this picture that I'm still not used to the feeling. Part of the problem was that SO MANY FISH came after me, and so I had this tickling/pinching feeling all over my feet. whee!


So after all that we came back and watched Candide. With Kristen Chenoweth and Patti LuPone and some opera people. It was amazing and hilarious. I think I may have to purchase a copy and make everyone I know watch it.

No comments: